The twinning project with the General Authority for Roads, Bridges and Land Transport (GARBLT) aims to support the economic and social development of Egypt by improving the road transport network and establishing an integrated transportation system that is safe, effective, reliable, interconnected and equitable.
The project activities are grouped into the following main components:
1. Coordination of national road safety activities and legislative reform.
2. Institutional development and capacity building of GARBLT.
3. Upgrading the road safety management system.
The planned outcomes of the project are:
1. A framework for the National Road Safety Board's secretariat is developed and technical committees are established which are ready to approve and adapt activities
2. The legislation governing GARBLT is reviewed and recommendations are put forward
to the Minister on strengthening GARBLT's mission on road safety
3. A system for road safety auditing is established, road and traffic management standards have been carefully reviewed and there is an improved national road accident database.