The Egyptian National Railway (ENR) was established in the 1950s as a profit-making, publicly-owned utility. In 1980, as a result of law no.152, the ENR came under the authority of the Ministry of Transport (MoT). It is currently the sole operator of the railway network.
This institutional twinning project is between the ENR and French Ministry for Transport, Infrastructure, Tourism and the Sea - (ISTED)
The planned outcomes of the project are:
- to strengthen the institutional capacity of railway administration
- to improve the legislative and regulatory framework
- to improve rail freight and passenger transport safety by adapting existing systems and procedures according to European Directives
- the preparation and implementation of an overall Safety Management System.
The project activities are grouped into the following main components:
1. setting safety policy and legislation and establishing an independent accident investigation body
2. the creation and organisation of the MoT Railway Safety Regulator Unit (RSRU) in preparation for its role as the overall regulatory body in charge of defining and approving safety rules and providing licences.
3. reviewing government policies for restructuring the railway sector
4. reviewing the current accident database
5. introducing procedures for audit programmes, hazard identification and risk assessment
6. developing the safety skills of ENR personnel