The OHS is an independent subdivision of the Ministry of Manpower and Migration (MoMM). Its main function is the inspection of workplaces and the issuing of penalties for violations of legal and conventional norms for public and labour safety, health and environmental protection. The legal base of the OHS operation is Labour Law no. 12 of 2003, which is enforced by ministerial decree.
This institutional twinning project was between the OHS, the Italian Ministry of Labour and Social Security and the EU DG for Occupational Safety Management.
The planned outcomes of the project were:
- The improvement of the OHS policies, procedures and services
- Reduction in the number of work-related accidents and incidents in Egypt
- supporting the MoMM in undertaking the relevant legislative and institutional reforms related to OHS services by assessing and recommending reforms
- To set standards to ensure effective implementation of its mandate
- To improve and promote labour safety through an enhanced culture of prevention
- To safeguard the health and welfare of employees and the public
- The implementation of a nationwide pilot programme based on the results achieved
The project activities were grouped into the following main components:
1. Assessment of legal compliance, formulating legislation and better enforcement of the law
2. Institutional capacity building at the central and local levels
3. Development of a comprehensive national strategy and action plan including an investment plan for equipment
The goal of this project was to support the Ministry of Manpower and Migration in undertaking the relevant legislative and institutional reforms as regards to occupational Health and Safety services and norms.
Where most of the results of the project were achieved during the project's lifespan, broader objectives and further results are yet to be achieved with further implementation developments in the OHS department of the Ministry of Manpower and Migration.